Sunday, November 25, 2012

Musical Paradoxes: Food for Thought

Just yesterday I went to an ice rink and skated there for a few hours. Just like at any other public place, they were playing music. (Since this rink is owned by a christian university, all the contemporary Christian stuff was playing.)
As I skated, I recalled a Switchfoot song that I'd heard a few years ago. The only words that I can really remember were from the chorus, which said, "If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song." Ironic, I thought, since the band was blasting at that point. I'm surprised that the singer didn't point this out himself.
Not long after I thought this, these words from the speakers caught my ear: "I'm trying to hear that still small voice." Huh, I thought. That singer will never hear the still small voice over all the noise she's making.
Anyway, I hope my thoughts have started some wheels turning in your minds. 

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever think that maybe he ( Switchfoot is a all male band) was just trying to express through his music the trouble he has hearing the voice of God at times? It was perhaps his way of calling out to God for help in hearing and listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I was referring to two different bands: Switchfoot, and some other band in which a woman sang. Secondly, I was pointing out the fact that while the music in both songs I mentioned was blasting away, the singers in both songs were saying things like: "If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song," or "I'm trying to hear that still small voice." Of course the female singer was probably trying to reach for God, but that is not the point I was trying to make. Whether or not she was reaching for God through her music, this problem remains: the music and the lyrics seem strangely contradictory. Doesn't it seem contradictory to sing loudly while you're trying to hear a whisper?
    Hope you found that helpful.

    ReplyDelete