Friday, July 5, 2013

Wanted: Alternate Definition of Marriage

            There's one question that I would like someone to answer for me, please. It's not a rhetorical question, it's quite serious.
            In our country, a lot of people have been arguing about whether we should legalize same-sex "marriage", but I don't know yet whether a single one of them has ever asked this simple question: "what is marriage anyway?" That's the question I want answered. How do the homosexuals and their supporters define marriage?
            Whether gay "marriage" advocates admit it or not, the definition of marriage is important. In fact, it's crucial. It may mean the difference between life and death--literally. In one of my earlier  articles, I dealt with a definition of marriage which appeared bad enough at first glance, but which, upon closer inspection, was clearly more dangerous than I had ever thought. It was dangerous because it labelled as marriage every sexual activity whatever (except for child abuse and rape) as long as it was legal. Since it allowed for so much, it rendered the meaning of the word "marriage" virtually meaningless.
            If homosexuals have no definition of marriage at all (and I don't know if that's not so), then they are no better off than the people who hold meaningless definitions of marriage. An undefined term can mean whatever the people who use it want it to mean.
            So I request for someone who knows the homosexual's definition of marriage to please step forward and propose it so that we can see whether it holds any water. If people are going to argue about marriage at all, shouldn't they first of all know what on earth they're talking about?
         


No comments:

Post a Comment